POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to prevent overlapping random objects? : Re: how to prevent overlapping random objects? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to prevent overlapping random objects?
From: stbenge
Date: 18 Aug 2010 13:51:09
Message: <4c6c1d8d@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "stbenge" <myu### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
>> I haven't tried Edouard's code yet, though I did search for some examples
>> with Google's image search. The repetition is often very noticeable, as
>> seen in the following images:
>>
>> http://www.puc-rio.br/marco.ind/imagens/halton_2d.gif
>> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fx_files/17457/1/halton.jpg
>> http://www.blitzcode.net/images/projects/project_150_big.png
>>
>> The first and second examples repeat completely in one diagonal direction,
>> and partially in another. The third is a bit harder to tell, but there is
>> definitely some partial repetition present, even with the low number of
>> points.
>
> What do you think of the image rendered with Edouard's code, I uploaded to
> p.b.i.?

I think that gaining some speed isn't worth the result. Like the other
Halton sequences I have seen, the one you rendered shows a lot of
repetition. And there are numerous instances in which the particles line
up unnaturally. In fact, they are so numerous that they cannot be
misconstrued as mere coincidences.

Have you tried placing ten times the number of particles that you used
for that example? With smaller particle sizes? Is so, do the particles
ever overlap? I suppose that if you can use more particles, then the
periodicity may not be much of an issue, but the diagonal alignment
problem will still be present.

I've been thinking about just making some scripts to generate spaced
point sets with min/max particle sizes, pigment-based distribution, and
maybe even some macros for accessing the points.

Sam